Canadian dynamo Eugenie Bouchard clinched one of the most significant victories of her career on Monday evening after she survived a mid-match comeback attempt to defeat Maria Sharapova 7-5 2-6 6-4.
The win was a very personal one for Bouchard, who had previously labelled Sharapova a “cheat” after she came back from a 15-month drug bad at the Stuttgart Open last month.
Following her latest win in Spain’s capital, Bouchard said:”I was inspired because I had a lot of players coming up to me privately, wishing me good luck. They were players I don’t normally speak to and I got a lot of texts from people in the tennis world that were just rooting for me. I wanted to do it for myself, but also for all these people.”
Despite her triumph, Bouchard remains a 25/1 (26.00) dark horse to prevail at the clay event, while Romania’s Simona Halep is a 3/1 (4.00) and soon-to-be world No. 1 Angelique Kerber comes in as a 5/1 (6.00) runner-up with the bookmakers.
Madrid Open 2017 Odds
- Simona Halep: 3/1 (4.00)
- Angelique Kerber: 5/1 (6.00)
- Svetlana Kuznetsova: 6/1 (7.00)
- Dominika Cibulkova: 8/1 (9.00)
- Time Bacsinszky: 12/1 (13.00)
- Laura Siegemund: 14/1 (15.00)
- Kristina Mladenovic: 14/1 (15.00)
- Kiki Bertens: 16/1 (17.00)
- Carla Suarez Navarro: 18/1 (19.00)
- Eugenie Bouchard: 25/1 (26.00)