Maria Sharapova has booked her place in the qualification stage of the 2017 Wimbledon Championship after she defeated Christina McHale 6-4, 6-2 in the first round of this year’s Italian Open on Monday.
However, the Russian-American can go one step further and book her spot in the Wimbledon main draw if she manages to make it to the semi-finals in Rome.
Sharapova is currently ranked No. 211 in the world and is continuing her rise through the WTA order after serving a 15-month drug suspension.
It’s been 17 years since Sharapova won Wimbledon—her first Grand Slam title—and the 30-year-old is looking to make her return to major silverware three years after clinching her last Grand Slam at the 2014 French Open.
Wimbledon 2017 Women’s Singles Odds
- Angelique Kerber: 5/1 (6.00)
- Karolina Pliskova: 7/1 (8.00)
- Garbine Muguruza: 7/1 (8.00)
- Maria Sharapova: 7/1 (8.00)
- Johanna Konta: 10/1 (11.00)
- Petra Kvitova: 12/1 (13.00)
- Madison Keys: 12/1 (13.00)
- Coco Vandeweghe: 20/1 (21.00)
- Venus Williams: 20/1 (21.00)
- Simona Halep: 25/1 (26.00)
- Caroline Wozniacki: 25/1 (26.00