Geraint Thomas has thundered back up the 2017 Giro d’Italia odds after coming second in Tuesday’s time trial, where Thomas Dumoulin’s victory was enough to catapult him to the front of the general classification.
It appeared as though Thomas’ Giro chances were over after a crash in Stage 9 saw him lose five minutes on the leaders and plummet to odds of 100/1 (101.00).
However, the Briton’s second-place finish on Tuesday was sufficient to see him rise back to 66/1 (67.00), although Colombian Nairo Quintana remains the major favourite at 4/5 (1.80).
Speaking to Eurosport after Tuesday’s rousing result, Thomas said:
“It shows I have the form and condition. It was a bit dented with the crash and I felt a bit handicapped with my arm, but I was happy with how today went. Hopefully I can try and recover and search for that stage win. It was a good boost to the confidence for sure. It still hurts mentally, to lose the chance of going for the podium through no fault of my own.”
Giro d’Italia 2017 Odds
- Nairo Quintana: 4/5 (1.80)
- Tom Dumoulin: 6/4 (2.50)
- Vincenzo Nibali: 8/1 (9.00)
- Thibaut Pinot: 8/1 (9.00)
- Bauke Mollema: 16/1 (17.00)
- Geraint Thomas: 66/1 (67.00)
- Steven Kruijswijk: 66/1 (67.00)
- Andrey Amador: 100/1 (101.00)
- Adam Yates: 100/1 (101.00)
- Ilnur Zakarin: 100/1 (101.00)